King Edward's has a proud historical background dating back to 1552 when it was first established. Please review the timeline below and feel free to visit the college alumni area where past students keep in touch.
• 1552 - the school was established near St Nicolas Church, following the grant of a royal charter by King Edward V1.
• 1799- the first boarders were taken at the school.
• 1870s – cricket, football and athletics was introduced.
• 1880 - the new Grammar School was relocated to the other side of the church yard, to the current site on King Edward Road. The new Tudor style building was designed by architect Clapton Rolfe. Fees were introduced
• 1892 – there were 60 students and 4 members of staff.
• 1921 – there was a move from football to rugby
• 1923 - there were 254 boys and 11 staff
• 1925 – a House system was introduced. 4 Houses: Nuneaton (white), Coton (blue), Stockingford (yellow), County (green).
• 1929 – the House system based on geography was replaced with names of the 4 House Masters: Day’s (white), Sheffield’s (blue), Hill’s (yellow), Gale’s (green),
• 1930 – a red and white striped uniform was introduced.
• 1935 - New House names Grene’s, Ellyot’s, Walton’s, and Sadler’s, the names of the first four recorded Masters of the Grammar School in the 16th Century
• 1941 – the school was bombed resulting in extensive damage to buildings. Junior students were re-housed in the head masters house and senior students at the Girls High School.
• 1944 – the school became non-fee paying.
• 1963 – the re-building work was completed.
• 1974 - the grammar school was closed and was then re-established as King Edward VI College. This is when the first girl students arrived.
• The oldest surviving building dating from 1695 is still in use today as the parish office.
• 1575: William Burton, author of Description of Leicestershire
• 1577: Robert Burton, author of Anatomy of Melancholy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burton_%28scholar%29
• 1882: Geoffrey de Havilland, Aviation Pioneer
• 1890: Professor Vincent Illing, Petroleum Geologist
• 1924: Sir Ewen Broadbent, KCB Senior Civil Servant
• 1925: Lord Plumb, President of the National Farmers Union, President of the European Parliament
• 1926: Professor Sir Philip Randle, Biochemist: researcher into diabetes
• 1936: Ken Loach, TV and Film Director.
• 1938: Bill Hays Stage and T.V. director
• 1948: Professor Chris Husbands, Director of the Institute of Education
• 1973: Jonathan Swain, News Reporter
• 1974: Marcus Jones, Conservative MP
• Jim Lee, Radio 4 Announcer
• Richard Hodges, Lawyer and disability campaigner