Why choose a Sixth Form College?
- At King Edward College we offer an unrivalled range of courses on site and the curriculum is reviewed constantly. We provide timetables to accommodate all student choices. Your full choice of subjects will be possible in 99% of cases providing we are your primary institution.
- Our teachers are highly qualified academics who specialise in their subject area and are dedicated to teaching only Sixth Form students.
- You will be joining an institution with a proven record of success at AS and A level. (90 %pass rate - 2% above the national average at AS and 97 % - at the national average at A2).
- We provide the environment for students to learn work and personal skills needed for university or employment. Our staff are skilled in providing excellent advice and guidance in selecting university or career choice.
- Starting college gives students the chance to reinvent themselves. A fresh start leads to more invigorated and motivated students. College is a chance to make new friends, have more freedom of expression and be treated like an adult.
- We provide a unrivalled range of enrichment opportunities leading to an all round education and our activities and support are designed specifically for 16-19 year olds.
- 80% of our students go to University,73% immediately and 7% after a gap year.
- You will study all your subjects at one institution (except for Music and Design and Technology)
- You will have the opportunity to participate in up to 17 sports teams and compete at national level which no other 16-19 provision could match.
- In a recent survey 70 % of our students said they would have still come to this college rather than stay at their schoolâ€™s proposed Sixth Forms. In the case of some schools it was as high as 83 %.
- Our students gave the following reasons for coming to KEC rather than staying on at their school: -More freedom and a more relaxed environment
- -More subjects to choose from
- -Meeting new people
- -Wanted a change
- -High standard of education
- -All students the same age, no younger students
- -Better opportunities
- -Good support
What the experts say
- â€śAt least 78% of the Level 3 cohort in Sixth Form College are known to progress to Higher Educationâ€ť SFCF Manifesto
- â€śStudents from Sixth Form Colleges have better independent learning habits than those from school sixth forms including many fee paying schools and tend to be better prepared for Higher education.â€ť University admissions conference keynote speaker
- An Ofsted study concludes that â€śthe most effective group of providers among the sample visited was Sixth Form Collegesâ€ť
- â€śResearch into post-16 structures shows that students at Sixth Form Colleges are likely to achieve better results than those in other provider types and at a lower cost per headâ€ť SFCF Manifesto.
- â€śThe consistent success of Sixth Form Colleges is one of the glories of the education system which we celebrateâ€ť David Bell, previous Chief Inspector, Ofsted
- â€ścolleges outperform all other providers of 16-18 education, in terms of value for money and outcomes for studentsâ€ťÂ SFCA
- â€śSome 14% of students accepted to higher education come from sixth-form colleges, while independent schools supply 10%â€ť SFCA